Re: Devanagari

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 04:45:58 EST

At 00:39 -0500 2002-01-21, Aman Chawla wrote:

>The issue was originally brought up to gather opinion from members of this
>list as to whether UTF-8 or ISCII should be used for creating Devanagari web
>pages. The point is not to criticise Unicode but to gather opinions of
>informed persons (list members) and determine what is the best
>encoding for information interchange in South-Asian scripts...

If you want only local users who have ISCII fonts to read them, use
ISCII. I wouldn't be able to read such pages, though, because I don't
have any ISCII support under Mac OS X. I *do* have Unicode-based
Devanagari supportm though.

The best encoding for information interchange is to use a SINGLE
encoding, namely Unicode. For the Web, use UTF-8.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com