Re: Devanagari

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 04:26:02 EST

* DougEwell2@cs.com

| This is why I really wish that SCSU were considered a truly
| "standard" encoding scheme. Even among the Unicode cognoscenti it
| is usually accompanied by disclaimers about "private agreement only"
| and "not suitable for use on the Internet," where the former claim
| is only true because of the self-perpetuating obscurity of SCSU and
| the latter seems completely unjustified.

Do you know of any published web pages that use SCSU? I think that's
probably the place to start. I never add support for encodings I can't
find in actual use on the web. (Hint hint. :)

Note that IANA *does* consider SCSU a real encoding scheme, since
they've defined a tag for it. (Thanks to Markus Scherer, I know, but
it does help.)

--Lars M.