Re: POSITIVELY MUST READ! Bytext is here!

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 07:23:57 EST

At 17:54 -0500 2002-01-26, DougEwell2@cs.com wrote:

>One of my favorite parts of Bytext was the section on Emoticons. Certainly,
>one thing that a "serious competitor" to Unicode must have is "a rich set of
>emoticons as single characters." I've always felt the UTC was badly out of
>touch with the user community by neglecting to encode TIRED-BORED FACE, QUESY
>[sic] FACE, YUKKY FACE, and DROOLING FACE.

MISTER YUCK, actually, should be added to Unicode. Isn't it used on
some poisonous cleaning products to warn children?

As far as Bytext goes, well, in my opinion, if the author had given
as much energy to working on the Unicode standard as he did writing
up that thesis of his, perhaps the end of his tweens might have been
more fruitful.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com