Re: Introducing the idea of a "ROMAN VARIANT SELECTOR" (was: Re: Proposing Fraktur)

From: Philipp Reichmuth (uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 18:39:38 EST

Hello Karl and others,

KP> While in Swedish this is a *tradition* according to Stefan, in German
KP> it is even a *rule*. The Duden says:
KP> "Fremdsprachige Wörter und Wortgruppen ... sind im Fraktursatz als
KP> Antiqua zu setzen", i.e. "Words of foreign languages and groups of
KP> them ... have to be typeset in Roman within Fraktur typesetting".
KP> This may be an argument proving that the Fraktur/Roman
KP> differentation can be a matter of text rather than of higher level
KP> protocols, as in fact claimed by Stefan.

On the other hand, for example, in German hyphenation the consonant
cluster "ck" gets hyphenated as "k-k" under some circumstances. This
is a rule as well, but still it is a clear case where putting it into
the encoding by means of a hypothetical "UNUSUAL HYPHENATION SELECTOR"
would be a bit inappropriate. I think most of these cases, including
the Fraktur problem, deal with _typesetting_ rules and should thus be
left to _typesetting_ software, i.e. the now-famous "higher level
protocol".

KP> If this appears after a character which is (by means of a higher level
KP> protocol) to be displayed in Fraktur otherwise, that character is to be
KP> displayed in Roman. In other circumstances, this selector can be ignored.

Would this mean much of an advantage over selecting a different font
for the respective character by means of markup?

  Philipp mailto:uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de