Re: UTF-8 was Re: Smiles, faces, etc

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 19:34:06 EST

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 04:23:20PM -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
> Curtis Clark <jcclark@mockfont.com> wrote:
>
> > At 08:30 PM 2/14/02, David Starner wrote:
> > >One out of two ain't bad, I guess. That was garbage on the screens of
> > >some of the subscribers, though - UTF-8 display is still not
> universal.
>
> You have a UTF-8 sig block, right, David? :-)
>
> With my recent change in service providers, I am now using the feared
> and loathed Outlook Express and can read UTF-8 e-mails just fine, but
> previously it would have been garbage on my screen as well.

Well, yeah, but most mailers will render the stuff around the UTF-8
correctly, and a sig block is where the junk goes. There's nothing of
real value down there anyway.

Am I correct in my assumption that everyone gets the ASCII part of my
message correct - not just here, but on the net at wide. I know some
older systems would transmit raw 8-bit characters to a terminal and
screw up the terminal state, but I don't know if anyone still uses them;
using a mailer that has a remote DOS that innocent email can trigger is
not wise.

--
David Starner / Давид Старнэр - starner@okstate.edu
What we've got is a blue-light special on truth. It's the hottest thing