Re: Unicode Search Engines

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 11:18:11 EST

                                             Thursday, February 21, 2002
Transliteration (converting texts from one writing system to another) is
of course an unnatural act (not in natural language) but is is sometimes
necessary. Transliteration often uses letters with diacritics to
represent letters not found in the target writing system. Many of these
letter + combining mark combinations do not have a precomposed equivalent
in Unicode (because they do not occur in normal text of the source
language) but they are needed when such texts must be presented in
another writing system. Many can be found in the ALA/LC romanization
tables. John Jenkins has a list of several of such combinations found in
cataloging data to help in preparing a TR which I gather will tell those
concerned with rendering engines that such combinations can occur.

     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     "It is not true that people stop pursuing their dreams because they
grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing their dreams." Adapted
[not by me] from a letter by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
     Addresses: Office: Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US
mail: I.T.S. Sys.Dev.Gp.4, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE,
Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.
Home: Phone: 301 946-7326; US mail: Box 291, Garrett Park, MD 20896.