Re: [OT] Slight Font Confusion

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:28:58 EST

At 04:40 3/6/2002, Charlie Jolly wrote:

>Just interested in cross-platform issues.
>
>Is it possible to produce one OpenType font for a complex script e.g. Hindi
>that works with Uniscribe on Windows and ATSUI on the Mac? Or does the Mac
>version need to be geared towards AAT?

The Mac version currently needs to be geared towards AAT, although Apple
have indicated that they plan to support OT layout at some point. The
current best option for a cross-platform compatible complex script font is
to build an OT font and then add AAT tables. The OT table format is extensible.

>Does Adobe's CoolType basically do what Uniscribe/ATSUI does, albeit with
>less script support?

Adobe use the term CoolType to refer to two different technologies: the
subpixel rendering in Acrobat 5.0 (not what you are asking about), and the
core type engine now being used by many (most?) of their applications (what
you are talking about). Yes, I believe CoolType, in the latter sense,
provides Unicode support to apps. It also includes both PS and TT
rasterisation services (which is why TT fonts rasterise differently in
Adobe apps than they do in apps that use the system rasteriser), and OT
layout services.

>Does MSOffice X for the Mac make use of Uniscribe?

No. I heard a rumour that Mac Office would be using ATSUI in a future
release, but have not heard any confirmation or details.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

... es ist ein unwiederbringliches Bild der Vergangenheit,
das mit jeder Gegenwart zu verschwinden droht, die sich
nicht in ihm gemeint erkannte.

... every image of the past that is not recognized by the
present as one of its own concerns threatens to disappear
irretrievably.
                                               Walter Benjamin