RE: Keyboard Layouts for Office XP in WIndows 98

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 18:34:31 EST

On 03/11/2002 12:58:16 AM "Chris Pratley" wrote:

>While it is true that in terms of absolute numbers most apps do not yet
>support UTF-16, it is worth noting that OfficeXP and anything based on
>mshtml.dll ver.6 (e.g. IE 6) or Riched20.dll v.4 (e.g. Wordpad in WinXP)
>do handle surrogate characters from UTF-16 correctly. So in terms of
>usage, surrogate support is covered pretty well as adoption of these
>newer versions increases.

But I believe there is another problem: I'm pretty sure that the TrueType
rasterisation part of Win9x/Me does not support the newer cmap formats
that are required to display glyphs for non-BMP characters. So, the apps
may understand the characters, but unless they are reading the cmap tables
on their own and drawing text as glyph strings, you won't see the glyphs
on Win9x/Me.

I expect Chris was assuming Win2K/XP, since it is very definitely a better
platform for script support. This issue of support for newer cmap formats
is but one reason why.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>