U+2130 : script capital E : electromotive force

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 14:23:34 EST

  Hi,

  While trying to understand Stefan's question about double-struck
capital italic E, I found that there's a mistake in 'the annotation'
for U+2130 script capital E (as of NamesList-3.2.0d5.txt at
ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/BETA/Unicode3.2/NamesList-3.2.0d5.txt)
I've never seen 'script capital E' used to denote 'generic
electro-magnetic force' while EMF is often used as an acronym for
'Electro-Mangetic Force'. On the other hand, script capital E is
frequently used for emf - electromotive force (unit : Volt. As you can
see from its unit, it's not a force per se but causes the current to
flow around the circuit.) in physics textbooks (e.g. Jackson, Classical
Electrodynamics, 2/e, p. 210). Note that I'm using lowercase 'emf'
instead of 'EMF'. Most of time lowercase 'emf' is used for 'electromotive
force'. Actually, I don't recall 'EMF' being used for electromotive force.

  Therefore U+2130 should be given the following annotation

  = emf (electromotive force)
  ~ <font> 0045 E latin capital letter E

  instead of

  = EMF (Electro-Magnetic Force)
  ~ <font> 0045 E latin capital letter E

 If it's too late for Unicode 3.2 (I hope not. I should have reported
it before the beta period for 3.2 ended), I hope it should not
mist Unicode 4.0 book.

  Jungshik Shin