RE: [OT] Re: The exact birthday of French: 0842-02-14

From: Alistair Vining (alistair.vining@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 08:28:40 EST

> I did ask a historian friend who specializes in the Middle East about
> this recently. He told me that the Islamic world really didn't take
> much notice of Europe until after the period in question so it's not
> really possible to match up the Islamic calendar to events in Europe
> during or before the Dark Ages. If the hypothesis proved to be true,
> Islamic history probably wouldn't be affected very much at all.

I'm bearing in mind Sarasvati's imprecation to keep this "innocent,
non-denominational, and non-violent", but:

Arabs, Franks, and the Battle of Tours, 732: Three Accounts
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/732tours.html

would be the very least of the problems affecting this theory which, how can I put
this, doesn't match up to the standards of the rest of the material on Markus' pages.

Al.