Re: Ie abbreviation character

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 05:49:10 EDT

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Also, I am very curious if this character is used (or even known)
| outside Norway at all.

* Michael Everson

| It's a Latin abbreviation I imagine. It's found in older Irish texts
| where it represents "con".

Are you saying that precisely the same character ("9:") can be found
in old Irish manuscripts? Also, what is "con"; is it the Latin word,
or an Irish word? If it's the Latin word that would mean that the
character used in a different sense in Irish, right? And today the
Irish use ".i." as an abbreviation for "i.e.", rather than "9:"?

Sorry, but I'm having difficulties making out what it is you are
saying.