Re: Ie abbreviation character

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 08:12:45 EDT

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 01:32:11PM +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:
> > | If yes, a sequence that can be confused with something else can be
> > | inappropriate for, e.g., a screen reader application.
> >
> > Hmmm. I wouldn't expect that to be a problem in this case.
>
> I would, if I were a Norwegian blind person relying on my screen reader's
> pronunciation to understand a text I'm reading.

Why? A Norwegian screen reader should handle "ɔ:" as one unit. Any
screen reader that can't handle that, can't handle a single character
either. In general, IPA would need to be marked to be handled correctly
by a screen reader; I don't see why "ɔ:" should be any different from any
other IPA in that case. Maybe I'm underestimating screen readers, but
I'd be surprised to find most of them pronouncing IPA. (I'm not sure
it's the right thing to do, either. Unless you're a well-trained
linguist, you're sure to miss subtleties that the IPA pointed out. I
guess well-trained linguist does cover most of the market for IPA . . .)

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.