RE: regarding unicode support in Oracle8i

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 11:53:39 EDT

Dear Sarada,

The thing you need to change is: don't use nchar in Oracle 8. Oracle 8 doesn't support the UTF-16 encoding. Oracle 9 and SQL Server provide 16-bit Unicode using the alternate character datatypes. In Oracle 8 the nchar/nvarchar types are used for an alternate character encoding, but this encoding can only be a Unicode encoding (UTF8 or AL24UTFFSS) if the main character set of the database is already UTF8 (or AL24UTFFSS), which means you don't need nchar types and you still have to deal with the byte/char count differences.

For Oracle 8/8i you will probably want to configure your database to use the UTF8 character set. This will affect how your DDL is written and mean some minor tweaks to your SQL statements (you'll need to remove the "N" qualifiers on your strings). I have a whitepaper from the Unicode Conference #19 at http://www.inter-locale.com/ICU19.pdf that may help you a little.

Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect / Manager, Globalization Engineering
webMethods, Inc. 432 Lakeside Drive, Sunnyvale, CA
+1 408.962.5487 (phone) +1 408.210.3659 (mobile)
Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.