Re: Courtyard Codes and the Private Use Area

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 10:45:06 EDT

Response to the comments of Mr Curtis Clark.

>At 07:06 2002-05-24, Philipp Reichmuth wrote:
>>Again, markup is the better solution. And, to be honest, it's a bit of
>>a waste of space on the mailing list, don't you think?
>
>I agree. Unicode already provides the basis for a widely-used and
>standardized formal system of markup by providing the characters U+003C,
>U+003E, and U+002F.

No, it does not.

Character U+003C is LESS-THAN SIGN
Character U+003E is GREATER-THAN SIGN
Character U+002F is SOLIDUS

If some other people have used those characters in a markup system with a
non-Unicode file format, that cannot be considered as Unicode providing the
basis for markup.

William Overington