Re: Courtyard Codes and the Private Use Area

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 08:20:20 EDT

At 12:07 +0100 2002-05-27, William Overington wrote:

>Response to the comments of Mr Michael Everson.
>
>> Of course it does.
>
>No "of course" about it. Say why if you choose. Unicode does not provide
>the basis for markup.

Markup like XML and HTML use letters which are encoded in Unicode.
When you type them into a document, a browser or other display engine
uses the markup to format and display

>The Unicode specification shows how characters are to be displayed.

No it doesn't. The glyphs are informative.

>Markup does not display a < character properly in accordance
>with the Unicode specification and, having received a < character, does not
>display following characters properly in accordance with the Unicode
>specification until a > character, which it also does not display in
>accordance with the Unicode specification, is received.

I think you need to learn some more about markup. Maybe www.w3c.org
has some tutorials which could help you.

>Unicode might well be used for producing markup by some end users, but that
>is not the same as the claim made originally that Unicode provides the basis
>for markup, which claim was made as if justification for claiming my ideas
>as not being good.

Well I cannot fathom what you mean by "provide the basis", which
seems to be the crux of this misunderstanding. Nevertheless, one can,
and does write marked-up text with Unicode, with Mac Roman, with CP
1252, and other character sets.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com