Re: Normalisation and font technology

From: John H. Jenkins (
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 08:39:37 EDT

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002, at 04:59 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> JH> Apple recently started applying normalisation to file names in Mac
> JH> OS X, with the result that the content of folders can now only be
> JH> correctly displayed with fonts that contain the necessary AAT
> JH> table information
> That's very surprising. Especially considering the excellent job they
> did with Openstep 4.0.

Well, and it's not the way we'd like things to be either. We hope to
address this in a future release of the OS.

To keep things in perspective, however, bear in mind that it's now
possible to have file names which are up to 255 UTF-16 units long
(including astral characters), and that AAT data in the fonts is respected
by the Finder, even for PUA characters. I can name a file in Pollard if I
like, so long as an appropriate font is present.

John H. Jenkins