RE: [OpenType] Normalisation and font technology

From: John Hudson (
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 16:21:21 EDT

The quoting in the previous message wasn't very good, and it may not have
been clear who wrote what. John Fiscella wrote:

>I would go further than that: if the font contains *any* properly named
>composite glyph, that it should be used in place of a base glyph +
>combining mark glyph representing normalized text, *even if the composite
>glyph is not encoded in Unicode/10646*. Such is the beauty of a parseable
>standard glyph naming scheme.

To which I replied:

There are plenty of TrueType fonts -- including many Asian fonts -- with
version 3.0 'post' tables that do not contain glyph names.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC

When the pages of books fall in fiery scraps
Onto smashed leaves and twisted metal,
The tree of good and evil is stripped bare.
                                        - Czeslaw Milosz