Re: Towards some more Private Use Area code points for

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 16:12:04 EDT

At 12:54 5/31/2002, John Cowan wrote:

>I rather like the Microsoft approach of assigning them [ornaments] to the
>PUA range
>F000-F0FF, which sort of preserves the pseudo-ASCII nature of them without
>interfering with semantic text processing that assigns ASCII semantics to
>the 0000-00FF codepoints.

I don't see the value in preserving the pseudo-ASCII ordering if you're
giving up the easy keyboard access and, of course, any measure of backwards
compatibility with the 8-bit versions of the fonts. As I said, whatever we
come up with is going to be arbitrary and, in terms of text processing, a
kludge. So the question is really, what is the most useful kludge?

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

When the pages of books fall in fiery scraps
Onto smashed leaves and twisted metal,
The tree of good and evil is stripped bare.
                                        - Czeslaw Milosz