Re: Towards some more Private Use Area code points for

From: John Hudson (
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 16:12:04 EDT

At 12:54 5/31/2002, John Cowan wrote:

>I rather like the Microsoft approach of assigning them [ornaments] to the
>PUA range
>F000-F0FF, which sort of preserves the pseudo-ASCII nature of them without
>interfering with semantic text processing that assigns ASCII semantics to
>the 0000-00FF codepoints.

I don't see the value in preserving the pseudo-ASCII ordering if you're
giving up the easy keyboard access and, of course, any measure of backwards
compatibility with the 8-bit versions of the fonts. As I said, whatever we
come up with is going to be arbitrary and, in terms of text processing, a
kludge. So the question is really, what is the most useful kludge?

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC

When the pages of books fall in fiery scraps
Onto smashed leaves and twisted metal,
The tree of good and evil is stripped bare.
                                        - Czeslaw Milosz