The golden ligatures collection ct ligature code in use. (derives from Re: Unicode and the digital divide.)

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 08:50:12 EDT

>> Respefully,

> Nice one, Doug. Unfortunately, on my system, that collides with the
ConScript version of Shavian which I have installed, so I got something
unexpected. ☹

Yet ConScript has now withdrawn that allocation and now uses that code point
for Ewellic.

http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/ewellic.html

What is interesting is as to how Doug produced that effect. How was it done
please?

Here it came out as a black rectangle in Outlook Express. So I did two
things. Firstly I looked in the message source and found the string
=EE=9C=87 in the line of text. Secondly I did a copy and paste of the text
from Outlook Express to Word 97 and then did a Save as HTML and then I
looked at the source code of the HTML file which was produced. This
produced the number 59143 in the sequence  so I then looked in the
list at the following web page.

http://www.Joern.De/tipsn128.htm#Ligaturen

There, to my delight, was the number 59143 alongside my choice of U+E707 for
the ct ligature.

This is interesting, as the fact that your system was set up for ConScript
and Doug wrote using a character from what is now called the golden
ligatures collection provides a good practical example of the need for the
use of the classification codes which I suggested some time ago.

If the Conscript registry is defined to be in one type tray and the golden
ligatures collection is defined to be in another type tray, then, in future
software, the two different meanings associated with the code point U+E707
could be clearly signalled, indeed the two meanings could both be signalled
in the same document!

I am wondering what is the coding that Doug used, namely =EE=9C=87 in the
line of text.

I have also analysed the other black rectangle which appears in your posting
by the same process. It comes out as decimal 9785 which converts to
hexadecimal 2639 which, upon looking in the code charts, gives a variation
on a smiley, namely a frowning face.

Looking at the source code of your posting I noticed a lot of =3D
characters, yet there were no black rectangles accompanying them, though the
screen did show a row of = characters. So, it would appear that if Outlook
Express has a fount which recognizes the characters then they will appear on
the screen in Outlook Express, even on older PCs.

So, Doug has proved the benefit of my list existing and you have proved the
benefit of, in the future, using my suggested classification codes.

The documents showing the golden ligatures collection of Private Use Area
code points for ligatures are available at the following web address.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo

William Overington