Re: Chinese Windows and unicode

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 14:41:52 EDT

* Michael Kaplan

| Conversion is usually possible (via the WideCharToMultiByte and
| MultiByteToWideChar APIs) but the number of code pages on the
| machine are usually more limited than they are on WinNT/2000/XP/.Net
| and its unclear what you would do with the information you have
| converted to Unicode once you have accomplished the conversion?

* Peter Constable

| Well, one could do something useful, like display it and edit it --
| note that Win9x/Me does support (Ext)TextOutW.

Yeah, but to do that you have to do all the hard work yourself.
Windows won't give you much help.

| Recall that Word 97 and Word 2000 use Unicode to represent data and
| successfully run on Win9x/Me.

They do, but they've done an awful lot of work to make that possible.
We did this in our own application as well, but it took us many
man-months to make the application fully support Unicode on these
platforms.

| But if all you want to do is something like Chinese but encoded in
| Unicode rather than a legacy encoding, Win9x/Me can support that.

It can, but how hard it is depends on what it is you want to do with
those Unicode strings.