Re: Japanese Web pages in Unicode?

From: KUSANO Takayuki (AE5T-KSN@asahi-net.or.jp)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 05:27:56 EDT

At Fri, 28 Jun 2002 02:47:19 -0400,
$B$m!;!;!;!;(B $B$m!;!;!;(B wrote:

> It seems to me that the Japanese prefer to use Shift-JIS or EUC-JP to
> Unicode in their Web pages. Why on earth is this?
> I have a bilingual Japanese / English page in Unicode. Are there other
> Japanese-language pages in Unicode?

  There are still many programs (including web browsers and text
  editors, etc.) that cannot handle Unicode text properly. So,
  Shift_JIS, EUC-JP and ISO-2022-JP is preferrerd.

  But in some sites, entity references are used to display characters
  that are not included in legacy JIS character set.

  for example:
http://piza.2ch.net/log/pcqa/kako/956/956613321.html
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~AE5T-KSN/anime/prog200112.html#abenobashi
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~AE5T-KSN/anime/prog200109.html#iwishyouwerehere