Re: [OpenType] Proposal: Ligatures w/ ZWJ in OpenType

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 13:06:58 EDT

John Hudson scripsit:

> I'm well aware of the particular needs of ligation in German, but I don't
> think using ZWJ/ZWNJ in the text string is a good solution. Are you really
> expecting German users to type in this way? What are the expectations of
> German spellchecking, sorting anfd searching in regard to text littered
> with ZWJ/ZWNJ?

Unicodely proper searching, sorting, and equality comparison generally
(of which spellchecking is a special case) should always ignore ZW(N)J
anyway.

> It seems to me that what German typesetting needs is a way to link
> dictionary support to layout features, so that this stuff can be handled
> automatically.

Not a small effort, given the German tendency to adhocopencompoundingonthefly.

--
One art / There is                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
No less / No more                       http://www.reutershealth.com