RE: New version of TR29:

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 09:23:40 EDT

John Cowan wrote:
> Marco Cimarosti scripsit:
>
> > Moreover, as Martins-Tuválkin says, non-Catalan uses of
> U+00B7 are too
> > unusual and uninteresting to be taken as the default.
>
> You omit, however, its very common use as a sign of multiplication.

Actually, I don't see it very often.

> > BTW, notice that the most important of these non-Catalan
> usages work as
> > expected also if U+00B7 is a MidLetter:
>
> However, it prevents a·b (a times b) from being correctly split.

In algebra, multiplication operators are normally omitted in such cases: a
times b is spelled "ab"; twice a is spelled "2a".

A dot-shaped multiplication operator is only used when both operands are
numbers (in which case it would split correctly), and when both operands are
alphabetic but at least one of them is longer than one letter, e.g.:

        x·sin 3

But it seems to me that these borderline cases are overly rare to get the
priority over the proper spelling of Catalan or the common notation of
hyphenation in dictionaries.

Moreover, TR29 can be customized for special needs, and math applications
already have lots of things to customize.

_ Marco