Re: The mystery of Edwin U+1E9A

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 18:13:37 EDT

John Cowan asked:

> Where does this strange beast come from?

Semitic transliteration practice, if I recall correctly.

> Its name is LATIN SMALL LETTER
> A WITH RIGHT HALF RING, and the right half ring is indeed above the "a".
> We don't have a RIGHT HALF RING ABOVE combining mark, so it only gets a
> compatibility decomposition.

It's not really an *above* diacritic, but a little 02BE hamza half ring
sitting at the upper right shoulder. The Unicode 3.0 glyph looks odd
to me -- the Unicode 2.0 glyph made more sense.

It's more akin to U+0149 as an oddball addition to the standard.

--Ken