Re: Discrepancy between Names List & Code Charts?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 07:28:18 EDT

John Hudson scripsit:

> The newish Gagauz Turkish Latin-script orthography derives from both
> Turkish and Romanian models. This has led to a peculiar hybrid, in which
> the cedilla is used for the s and the commaaccent is used for the t.

ME's remarks in _The Alphabets of Europe_ seem downright bizarre to me:

# Note that in
# Romania, Gagauz uses the characters S WITH COMMA BELOW and T WITH COMMA BELOW.
# In inferior Gagauz typography, the glyphs for these characters are sometimes
# drawn with CEDILLAs, but it is strongly recommended to avoid this practice.
# However, because Gagauz is a Turkic language, it may be left to the user to
# decide whether S WITH COMMA BELOW (as in Romanian) or S WITH CEDILLA (as in
# Turkish) is preferred.

It seems that the last two sentences say that it may be left to the user
to decide whether inferior or superior typography is preferred.

--
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         jcowan@reutershealth.com