Re: An idea for keeping U+FFFC usable. (spins off from Re: Furigana)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 20:26:15 EDT

On 08/17/2002 09:29:00 AM "William Overington" wrote:

>Peter Constable wrote as follows.
>
>>The standard already specifies that FFFC should not be exported from an
>application or interchanged.
>
>As far as I am aware that is not presently the case.
>
>If you still say that that is correct, could you please state the exact
text
>of the standard relating to this matter and where in the standard that
text
>can be found please?

OK, it doesn't say it explicitly; nevertheless, I believe I know what the
intent of the text is, and that it is not condoning interchange of FFFC.
The fact that the text isn't more explicit is something that could perhaps
be improved; but if you think about what the text on pp 326-7 *does* say,
I think this intent can be detected. It seems clear to me that it assumes
usage within the context of some higher-level protocol, such as would be
imposed by a software process. For instance, the text makes reference to "
the object's formatting information", but Unicode / plain text does not
provide representation for such information. Thus, there necessarily must
be some other protocol at work within which that information is
represented. FFFC, then, it something that is utilised by that
higher-level protocol. Hence, this section of the Standard is *not*
talking about FFFC being used in interchanged plain text. It is, rather,
assuming usage internal to some processing context or other higher-level
protocol.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>