Re: Latin vowels?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 00:32:56 EDT

Mark Davis scripsit:

> If someone familiar with any of the weirder creatures in the Unicode
> Latin Zoo could quickly scan the list over to see if there are any
> errors, I'd appreciate it.

The following are not vowels.
The so-called OI is really a velar fricative; the OU-ligature is
historically so, but functions as [w] in the languages where it is used.

U+01A2 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OI
U+01A3 # LATIN SMALL LETTER OI
U+0222 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OU
U+0223 # LATIN SMALL LETTER OU

The following probably are vowels. AFAIK there are no instances of W or Y
with diacritics except in their vocalic uses (many languages for Y,
Welsh for W). This may not apply to the W and Y with dots above and
below, hook above, and ring above, the uses of which I don't know.
As for IJ, it's a Dutch diphthong.

U+00DD # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH ACUTE
U+00FD # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH ACUTE
U+00FF # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS
U+0132 # LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE IJ
U+0133 # LATIN SMALL LIGATURE IJ
U+0174 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER W WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+0175 # LATIN SMALL LETTER W WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+0232 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH MACRON
U+0233 # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH MACRON
U+0277 # LATIN SMALL LETTER CLOSED OMEGA
U+1E80 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER W WITH GRAVE
U+1E81 # LATIN SMALL LETTER W WITH GRAVE
U+1E82 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER W WITH ACUTE
U+1E83 # LATIN SMALL LETTER W WITH ACUTE
U+1E84 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER W WITH DIAERESIS
U+1E85 # LATIN SMALL LETTER W WITH DIAERESIS
U+1E86 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER W WITH DOT ABOVE
U+1E87 # LATIN SMALL LETTER W WITH DOT ABOVE
U+1E88 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER W WITH DOT BELOW
U+1E89 # LATIN SMALL LETTER W WITH DOT BELOW
U+1E8E # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DOT ABOVE
U+1E8F # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH DOT ABOVE
U+1E99 # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH RING ABOVE
U+1EF2 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH GRAVE
U+1EF3 # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH GRAVE
U+1EF4 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DOT BELOW
U+1EF5 # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH DOT BELOW
U+1EF6 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH HOOK ABOVE
U+1EF7 # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH HOOK ABOVE
U+1EF8 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH TILDE
U+1EF9 # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH TILDE

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."