Re: Latin vowels?

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 07:36:47 EDT

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:43:52AM +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:
> Mark Davis wrote:
> > I need to get a list of Latin characters that are generally considered
> > vowels. I partitioned the characters as in the list below, but there
> > are lots of oddball ones for which I can only guess (LATIN CAPITAL
> > LETTER OU? LATIN LETTER WYNN?...).
> >
> > http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/latin_vowels.html

> - In Latin, i and u were also used to represent consonants /j/ and /v/
> (originally, /w/). This ambiguity is still partly present in modern
> languages, especially for i.
> - Notice that capital U is not listed, because it is a new form of V,
> invented in the 16th century precisely for the purpose of distinguishing
> the vowel and the consonantal sounds.

Originally, of course, latin had only capital letters

> - The macron on L and R with dot below makes clear that they are used as
> "sonants", i.e. a kind of vowels.

in Slovak, l and r with acute accents are technically vowels
(long ones at that), as well as sometimes l and r.
However, officially they are classified as consonants.

> I would treat all these as vowels, although I know a few rare exceptions.
> Apart Welsh W, all other exceptions are very rare:
> - J is normally a consonant, but it originally was a font variant of I. In
> ancient texts in many languages, and in some rare Italian proper names, it
> can still stand for vowel /i/.

A bookcase full of old (~100 years) hungarian books has just got into
my posession. I noticed that "J" is there often used as a vowel
at the beginning of word before consonant (where modern hungarian has "I").
However, before vowels, "J" stands for consonant /j/ universally, and
in the middle of word "i" is used for /i/, as one would expect.

I also noticed this (classified as vowel):
   U+016C # (Ŭ) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH BREVE
   U+016D # (ŭ) LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH BREVE

this is a semivowel :-), at least in Esperanto

   U+00D4 # (Ô) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH CIRCUMFLEX
   U+00F4 # (ô) LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH CIRCUMFLEX

this is also classified as a semivowel (in Slovak), though
technically it is a glide plus following vowel.

Conclusion? It is pointless to talk about vowels and consonants,
if you are speaking about a _writing_ system (especially disregarding
the language it concerns).
Vowels and consonants make sense when speaking about pronunciation.

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |