Re: Sequences of combining characters (from Romanization of Cyrillic and Byzantine legal codes)

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 11:22:51 EDT

    On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > Peter said:
    >
    > > >This stuff *can* all be handled with appropriately designed
    > > >ligations in fonts, so there are options for display:
    > > >
    > > ><U+0074, U+0361, U+0073, U+0307>
    > > >
    > > > ==>
    > > > maps via ligation table to:
    > > >
    > > >{t-s-tie-ligature-with-dot-above} glyph
    > >
    > > I would consider this an anomolous rendering. It is counter-exemplified by
    > > figure 7-6 in TUS3.0. I'd be concerned of longer-term problems if we
    > > decided to say that this was a valid alternate rendering from
    > >
    > > >{t-s-dot-tie-ligature} glyph
    >
    > Well, yes, it would be anomalous, which is why it would require
    > somebody to go to the trouble to make a special ligation table
    > entry for it.
    >
    > But what longer-term problems are you talking about? I didn't
    > say we should put in a formal rendering *rule* in the Unicode
    > Standard that says something different from Figure 7-6, along
    > the lines of converting one form to the other as above.
    >
    > Look, let's consider again what problem we are trying to solve
    > here. We have two funky forms from the ALA-LC transliteration
    > tables, for which we haven't heard back yet from bibliographic
    > sources whether there actually is any *actual* data representation
    > problem in USMARC records.
    >
    > We can try to invent and promulgate a generic rendering solution
    > for these cases (and anything like them) in the Unicode Standard,
    > despite the fact that they are an edge case of an edge case for
    > Latin script rendering... Or, if it turns out that it isn't a
    > general-enough problem to force everyone to deal with it in terms
    > of generic rendering, we could suggest alternatives:
    >
    > a. markup solutions
    > b. specific font ligation solutions for specialized data
    >
    > Now consider again the function of these things in the ALA-LC
    > transliteration. The Cyrillic transliteration recommendations
    > make rather extensive use of ligature ties. Why? Because the
    > ALA-LC transliteration schemes make some effort to be round-trippable.
    > In other words, the Cyrillic transliteration they recommend is
    > not merely a useful romanization that might be in more general
    > use, as for a newspaper, but is a romanization from which, in
    > principle, you ought to be able to recover the Cyrillic it
    > was transliterated from. Thus these schemes distinguish t-s
    > from t-s-tie-ligature, since the ligated form might be a
    > transliteration of a tse or similar letter, whereas the t-s
    > would be a transliteration of a te+es, and so on. In other
    > words, the tie-ligatures are being sprinkled in to make ad hoc
    > digraphs for the transliteration, to aid in recovery of the
    > Cyrillic from the romanization.
    >
    > Now the dots above typically represent an articulatory diacritic,
    > as for palatalization, or the like.
    >
    > So the combination of the two is to indicate: we are transliterating
    > a letter with a palatal (say) diacritic, using a digraph.
    >
    > Do we have alternatives in Unicode for that? Well, yes, depending
> [...]

         Regards,
              Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
         "It is not true that people stop pursuing their dreams because they
    grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing their dreams." Adapted
    from a letter by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
         The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
    views of any government or any agency of any.
         Addresses: Office: Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US
    mail: I.T.S. Sys.Dev.Gp.4, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE,
    Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.
    Home: Phone: 301 946-7326; US mail: Box 291, Garrett Park, MD 20896.