Re: Keys. (derives from Re: Sequences of combining characters.)

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 12:34:48 EDT

    William Overington wrote:
    > >Message catalogs are not new.
    >
    > I had not heard the description "Message catalog" previously, so I can
    > search for that too.
    >
    > I have previously searched under telegraphic code and language and
    > translation.

    look for: software localization, message, catalog, resource files,
    perhaps localisation ;-)

    > An email correspondent drew my attention to the following list of "numbered
    > radiograms".
    >
    > http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/forms/fsd3.html
    >
    > That is an interesting document.
    >
    > I have not yet found any example oriented to language translation. I have
    > not yet found any example oriented to carrying on a complete conversation.

    A new prisoner sits down for his first lunch. Someone shouts out 53.
    Everyone laughs.
    Another shouts 26. More laughter. He asks his neighbor what's going
    on... The neighbor explains they have all been there so long they have
    heard all the jokes told very many times. Finally they just gave them
    numbers. So when someone shouts out a number they remember the joke and
    laugh.
    After a bit the new guy shouts out: 42! Dead silence. He asks his
    neighbor what went wrong. He turns to him and says" "That one is not
    funny.".

    This is a very old joke. It is an indication of how old the idea of
    numbered messages might be. ;-)

    The arrl list was missing quite a few. 73 & 88 were common for "Best
    regards", and "love and kisses".
    I was rather surprised therefore when the Target products with "88" were
    recently pulled from the market because they signaled the neo-nazi
    movement. I thought it meant Love and kisses.

    > >A proprietary coding system is a bad idea.
    >
    > Well, it depends what one is trying to do.

    Yes, for the problem you described, given the availability of an open
    system, with lots of tool support, creating a proprietary system in
    which you could not create nearly as many tools as the open-based
    systems, it would not be competitive. You would really have to build in
    some significant market advantage. Given your lack of familiarity with
    what exists in the market, and a presumption of a one-man shop (limited
    resources), we speculated it was a mistake.

    > >XML is the way to go.
    >
    > Maybe, maybe not. The issue of U+003C being used to mean LESS-THAN SIGN in
    > documents which mix ordinary text and markup may or may not, depending upon
    > the application, be a problem.

    You can use the character with some minor escaping. It is a smaller
    issue than trying to create all the various tools and benefits you would
    get from XML.

    > >but as Peter and others have already defined
    > >several times where the envelope needs pushing (e.g. XML), and in
    > >particular where they should not (private encodings, and hi level
    > >application semantics assigned to particular code points), continued
    > >attempts to do so are not welcome.
    >
    > What is wrong with private encodings? The Private Use Area is there to be
    > used.

    Sure, but use them privately and discuss them privately with people who
    have an interest in those particular purposes.
    This is not the place. I know this has been stated before.

    I think Suzanne or Barry even created a list for purposes of PUA
    discussion: