The Currency Symbol of China

From: Jane Liu (xjliu_ca@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 12:40:36 EDT

    Hi Unicoders,

    Thanks to Sarasvati just pointed out that my previous message with the attachment was too
    large. I've reduced the attached file size and send this message again.

    Please take a look at the (RenminbiMark.bmp) first.

    The Unicode code point U+FFE5 is being rendered differently by various True Type fonts
    (SimSun, Arial Unicode MS, MingLiu, Gulim, MS UI Gothic ...) on Microsoft Windows system.
    According to some people, only the glyph from font "SimSun" or "SimSun-18030" is exactly
    following the Chinese standard. I double checked the latest standard of Unicode, in the
    Code Chart( http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFF00.pdf ), U+FFE5 is also rendered
    differently from "SimSun".

    So, my questions are:

    1. Do you know which symbol is declared as the standard by Chinese official authorities ?

    2. In China, the currency is called "Renminbi Yuan", why is it not included in Unicode
    standard ? Instead of it, "Yen" is being used which is the name of Japanese currency.
    Does Chinese authorities agree to use the same currency symbol as Japan ?

    Thanks.

    Jane