RE: Sporadic Unicode revisited

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 11:08:04 EDT

    Martin Kochanski wrote:
    > To come back to the old thread about typing arbitrary Unicode
    > characters in situations where it's not worth installing a
    > special keyboard, I thought that people might be interested
    > in the hexadecimal Alt+ numeric-keypad solution that we're
    > implementing. As implementations of ISO 14755 go, it seems
    > reasonably simple; but comments would be welcome. You can
    > find a description of the input method at
    > http://www.cardbox.net/client/unicode.htm, near the bottom of
    > the page. Remember that this is a fallback method and not
    > intended for long runs of text!
    >
    > If there are any inaccuracies or obscurities in that page, it
    > would also be good to hear about those.
    >
    > (Well, not good exactly, but useful).

    Nice! Of course, the drawback is that one must have a Unicode chart at hand,
    but this is clearly much better than having to convert codes to decimal.

    I wonder whether anyone considered implementing an IME based on mnemonic
    codes, such as those described in RFC 1345
    (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1345.html)?

    _ Marco