Re: Sporadic Unicode revisited

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 15:22:38 EDT

    Rick McGowan scripsit:

    > Both (recent) Windows

    *Very* recent, which many have not yet adopted.

    > Both platforms also have other means,
    > such as the "Character Map" utility of Windows...

    Using which is a great pain in the rear.

    > (BTW, I agree with Mark about those ISO 14755 abbreviations... They aren't
    > very "mnemonic". Many people have the charts available, so there is no
    > great advantage to using mnemonics over simply using numbers or palettes.)

    They are easy to type, and what is more, easy to proofread. (This is the
    same argument I just made defending the ISO/SGML named character entities.)

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    Consider the matter of Analytic Philosophy.  Dennett and Bennett are well-known.