Re: Sporadic Unicode revisited

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 18:08:16 EDT

    Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld at dkuug dot dk> wrote:

    > Well, you double the introducer & to represent itself, so the second
    > example is the correct interpretation.
    > The system, but not the RFC, has been extended, eg by ISO/IEC TR
    > 14652. You can always use Uxxxx or Uxxxxxxxx identifiers for 10646
    > chars.

    Thanks for the clarification. I should have read the document a bit
    more carefully.

    The "extension" described in ISO/IEC TR 14652 seems only to have been
    the addition of "Eu" for U+20AC EURO SIGN, bringing the total number of
    symbols to 2330, including private-use assignments and duplicate symbols
    like "Nb" and "number-sign" and "H-" for U+0023 NUMBER SIGN.

    Keld is right, though: hex notations like &_U20AD_ can always be used
    for characters that have no symbol. And Ken is right too: the mnemonic
    value of short "portable character set" symbols diminishes rapidly
    anyway. (But look, "K-" is still available for U+20AD KIP SIGN...)

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California