Re: [ANN] World Address Project starts and relies on Unicode heavily

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 01:38:38 EDT

    Marco Cimarosti <marco dot cimarosti at essetre dot it> wrote:

    > I am really quite sick of those forms that, after I have specified my
    > country is Italy, force me to fill in my "state"! I usually, have to
    > select "Michigan", which has the same acronym ("MI") as the province
    > of Milan. I hope I'll never move in the province of Florence, as there
    > is no state in the US whose acronym is "FI"...
    >
    > Also, I hope they'll stop refusing forms where I haven't filled the
    > "middle initial" field.

    Here's another one: software registration forms that require you to fill
    in the "Company" field. If it's my own personal software, then I am not
    using it on behalf of my employer or any other company, and I resent
    having to repeat my name or put "." or something stupid just to satisfy
    the registration form, whose author apparently couldn't imagine the
    software being purchased and used by an unaffiliated individual.

    Happily, most such forms allow you to type a single U+00A0 in that
    field.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California