RE: ISO 8859-11 (Thai) cross-mapping table

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 10:13:53 EDT

    John Aurelio Cowan wrote:)
    > Marco Cimarosti scripsit:
    > > Talking about the format of mapping tables, I always
    > > wondered why not using ranges. In the case of ISO
    > > 8859-11, the table would become as compact as
    > > three lines:
    >
    > Well, that wins for 8859-1 and 8859-11 and ISCII-88, where Unicode
    > copied existing layouts precisely. But it wouldn't help other 8859-x
    > much if at all,

    All 8859 tables would be more succint.

    Non-Latin sections use contiguous ranges of letters in alphabetical order
    or, however, in the same order used by Unicode; this is also true for most
    other non-ISO charsets.

    Latin sections are a worse case, but they still benefit slightly, because
    characters shared with Latin-in stay the same positions.

    > and it requires binary search rather than direct
    > array access, which would be a terrible lossage in CJK, where the
    > real costs are.

    I agree. In the case of CJK it simply doesn't pay.

    _ Marco