RE: Historians- what is origin of i18n, l10n, etc.?

From: Jim Melton (jim.melton@acm.org)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 11:08:00 EDT

    In spite of Arnold's anecdote, I think that I18n was in use long before
    1991. I first started using it myself in perhaps 1987, having picked it up
    from colleagues at Digital Equipment Corporation (remember *them*?); I have
    no idea where they got the term, though. However, I first encountered L10n
    quite some years later, possibly as recently as 1994 or 1995, but I don't
    recall it as clearly.

    Jim

    At 07:14 AM 2002-10-10 -0400 Thursday, Winkler, Arnold F wrote:
    >Tex,
    >
    >Here is my recollection:
    >
    >Sometime around 1991 in a IEEE P1003.1 (POSIX) meeting, Gary Miller (IBM)
    >was writing on the blackboard. After having spelled out
    >Internationalization a few times, he first abbreviated it to I--n and a bit
    >later (obviously after counting the letters in between) used I18N. Sandra
    >might have been at the meeting, and Keld - they might be able to confirm my
    >recollection.
    >
    >L10N did not show up until quite some time later. I have no idea who used
    >it first.

    Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL) Phone: +1.801.942.0144
    Oracle Corporation Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@oracle.com
    1930 Viscounti Drive Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@acm.org
    Sandy, UT 84093-1063 Personal email: mailto:jim@melton.name
    USA Fax : +1.801.942.3345
    = Facts are facts. However, any opinions expressed are the opinions =
    = only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody =
    = else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand. =