Re: Historians- what is origin of i18n, l10n, etc.?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 14:57:32 EDT

    Markus Scherer scripsit:

    > Nice story, similar to the one with Gary Miller. It seems like we have three stories of origin now (with mid-'80s DEC).
    > The i18n.com version does not date the MIT meeting, does it?

    Well, independent or stimulus-diffused reinvention isn't ludicrous; in
    fact, I can testify that it actually happened. At one point, before I
    had firmly learned the acronym "i18n", I found myself remembering that
    there was an acronym of that style and having to count the letters myself,
    and at least once "l14n" instead of "l10n" got into a posting of mine,
    perhaps influenced by c14n = "canonicalization", for which the oldest
    Google Groups entry is only 1999. Did I invent "c14n" independently,
    or by stimulus diffusion, or by seeing it and forgetting it? I just
    can't say.

    --
    Only do what only you can do.           John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
      --Edsger W. Dijkstra,                 http://www.reutershealth.com