Re: Chinese in VB

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 01:44:04 EDT

    Hi Violet,

    > Thank you very much for your reply.
    > Can you please explain in detail of your last paragraph? What do you
    > mean by using TC/SC conversion module to convert between the DBCS
    > encoding? How can I implement Unicode in this situation?

    What I mean is this: If you *already have* a module that converts
    between TC and SC, using a DBCS encoding, and you are satisfied with the
    results, then it would be possible to modify such a converter to use
    Unicode instead of the DBCS. The data in Unihan.txt can assist you
    here.

    If you *do not* have a satisfactory TC/SC conversion routine, then
    switching to Unicode will not get you one, because the Unicode and
    ISO/IEC 10646 people have very wisely decided not to get themselves
    tangled up in that cobweb.

    You need to define (or explain) what you mean by "implementing Unicode."
    If it means converting your input data to Unicode from GB 2312 or CNS
    11643 or Big Five or whatever, that's fine. But don't be misled,
    Unicode support does not in any way imply support for TC/SC conversion.

    I had written:

    > Of course, if you already have the TC/SC conversion module and just
    > need to convert between a DBCS encoding (e.g. GB 2312) in order to
    > "implement Unicode in the coding," the Unihan.txt file does include
    > these mappings.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California