Re: Hindi keyboard with the Microsoft Hindi font Mangal

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 22:58:00 EDT

    Michael (michka) Kaplan <michka at trigeminal dot com> wrote:

    > The use of either <CTRL> or <CTRL><SHIFT> shift states in Microsoft-
    > supplied keyboards is very rare. The reason it is rare is that it
    > interferes with programs that use those shift states to perform
    > control actions (such as Microsoft Word).

    I agree completely that assigning characters to Ctrl+keys,
    Shift+Ctrl+keys, Alt+keys, and Shift+Alt+keys is a Bad Idea, for the
    reason you state. It's not just about conflicts with large programs
    like Word, either. Every Windows program with an edit control allocates
    at least Ctrl+X for cut, Ctrl+C for copy, and Ctrl+V for paste. It
    seems inconsistent for Ctrl+1, or even Shift+Ctrl+1, to be a character
    and not an action.

    I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of Microsoft's Globaldev
    (Javascript) keyboards that used either Ctrl or Alt as a shifting key.
    I remembered thinking that such a thing was very un-Windows-like.

    > It is also difficult (though not impossible) to query the actual
    > information on these shift states due to the fact that USER will
    > automatically map such keystrokes to control characters (if there is
    > no assigned keystroke in the keyboard layout itself).

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California