Re: [idn] Re: IDNA problem statement

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 13:43:46 EDT

    > The problem with SC22 is that Unicode/L2 has infiltrated it, and tries to
    > sabotage the cooperation between ISO and IETF, by not having any

    "infiltrated"? I respectfully disagree with Doug on this. Certainly SC22 has
    not been "infiltrated". There are some people from on a particular working
    group, WG20, that are in support of Unicode, but others who are not.

    But completely independent of Unicode, the vast majority of the "standards"
    that were being proposed *to* the WG20 (such as the internationalization
    API, or 14652) were -- how can I put this most charitably -- of extremely
    low quality. Look at the negative comments in

    http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG20/docs/n857-n3261.pdf

    for example. The only reason, I believe, that it passed -- even as a TR (not
    a standard), even with huge sections marked as controversial -- was that a
    number of countries tend to simply vote without reading the text.

    The one exception is ISO 14651. With a lot of hard work by people on the
    committee, both those in support of Unicode and those not, the collation
    standard has turned out well.

    Mark
    http://www.macchiato.com
    ► “Eppur si muove” ◄