Re: need open source tools to convert indic font encoding into ISCII or Unicode

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 17:37:52 EDT

    On 10/24/2002 02:28:10 PM ftang wrote:

    >Dear unicoder:
    >
    >I am looking for open source tool (C / C++ / Perl or Java) to convert
    >between (UTF-8/UTF-16 or ISCII) and differnt Indict font encoding.

    I assume that these are non-standard encodings, and probably
    presentation-form encodings. If so, we don't have mappings specifically for
    these encodings, but our TECkit package could be used to handle such
    mappings. The advantage that TECkit offers over other available tools that
    I know of is that we designed it specifically to be able to cope with
    visually-ordered presentation-form encodings. So, for instance, it has
    mechanisms to deal with context-sensitive mappings and reorderings.

    You asked for something in languages such as C, etc. TECkit provides a
    generic conversion engine as a library; there's a generic mapping
    description language, so you write the description for the legacy encoding
    <> Unicode CCS (the descriptions are neutral with regard to encoding forms
    / schemes), and then compile that description into a binary format (for
    fast execution). The same compiled format can be used on the Mac or on
    Windows. (Sorry, no Linux version yet, but source code is available.)

    For further details, go to the TECkit pages on our site:
    http://www.sil.org/nrsi/teckit/

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>