Tolkenian Sarati (Formerly: RE: Manchu/Mongolian in Unicode)

From: Robert (bob4you27@excite.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 00:30:31 EDT

     --- On Sun 10/13, Tom Gewecke wrote:
    From: Tom Gewecke [mailto: tom@bluesky.org]
    To: unicode@unicode.org
    Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:26:04 -0700
    Subject: Manchu/Mongolian in Unicode

    > The latest Mac OS X upgrade has fonts that include the classic
    > Mongolian/Manchu range, 1800-18AF.
    >
    > Displaying these scripts correctly seems to be loaded with problems:
    > They
    > should run top-to-bottom and left-to-right, with ligatures and positional
    > variants similar to Arabic.
    >
    > I assume that ligatures and positional variants would be handled by font
    > tables and rendering software operating on text encoded with the basic
    > codepoints. I'm wondering, however, how the directional questions of
    > display would be dealt with.
    >
    > I gather that vertical display is for markup and not part of Unicode.
    > I've
    > found what appears to be the appropriate stuff in the
    > "writing-mode"
    > property of XSL and CSS3. Does anyone know of any browsers, Mac or
    > Windows,
    > that support this?
    >
    > I've also seen examples of the scripts written horizontally, both
    > left-to-right and right-to-left. Since the standard font glyphs have a
    > vertical orientation, they must be individually rotated minus or plus 90
    > degrees for displaying horizontally. Is this also purely a markup issue,
    > and are there any browsers that support it?
    >
    > Thanks for the help! Any pointers to online or other information on this
    > topic would be appreciated.

    --Reply--
    Another language alphabetic script that reads left-to-right vertically from top-to-bottom is Sarati, another of the fantasy scripts from the late J. R. R. Tolkien's *Lord Of The Rings* book series. Featured in Sarati are the consonant symbols (sarat) that form the backbone of the vertical reading line; the vowels are small marks that go on either side (left for before, right for after) of the involved consonant—the name *Illuvatar* (for example) would be written thus in Sarati:

    the holding the initial mark to its left. Carriers long and short are used to hold vowel signs that form syllables by themselves (like the initial in *Illuvatar*, above).
    There's even a sarat for the blend , to boot! Vowel marks include those for lengthened doubles and (the 2nd being a double shəwa).
    Thank You!

    Robert Lloyd Wheelock
    Augusta, ME USA

    Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com