RE: New Charakter Proposal

From: Dominikus Scherkl (Dominikus.Scherkl@glueckkanja.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 05:02:42 EST

    Hello.

    Markus Scherer wrote:
    > Chances are nearly 100% that overlong UTF-8 was a
    > spoofing attempt, or the result of something other than a
    > UTF-8 encoder.
    Correct. This is exactly my topic.
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a standardized way to indicate
    that an attack to the message has occured without hiding
    the contained information from the user?

    The way we do this yet, is popping up some alert box, but
    this does not remain in the text.
    And using any unassigned or forbidden codepoint (as you
    suggested) would keep it's meaning only for the application
    which converted the text (in our case a small tool decoding
    encrypted messages - which will never see the text again).
    And leaving any other mark in the text is at least
    non-standard, so most unicode-tools can't use it (which is
    our goal).

    But ok, it is not that important. Would only be nice.

    Best regards.

    --
    Dominikus Scherkl
    dominikus.scherkl@glueckkanja.com