Re: New Charakter Proposal

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 17:47:57 EST

    David Starner wrote:
    >>Chances are nearly 100% that overlong UTF-8 was a spoofing attempt, or the
    >>result of something other than a UTF-8 encoder.
    >
    > With the exception of overlong sequences for null (C0 80?), which Java
    > generates in an attempt to avoid true nulls.

    I am aware of this one. This encoding is not UTF-8, however - it is more like CESU-8 with a 2-byte
    encoding for NUL. Even if some documentation claims this to be UTF-8, it isn't, and a conformant
    UTF-8 decoder must reject byte sequences from this beast that don't belong in UTF-8 - and the same
    for a CESU-8 decoder.

    This rather proves my point above.

    markus