Re: ct, fj and blackletter ligatures

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 10:37:21 EST

    Michael Everson wrote,

    > James, if you would kindly take these crap out of your font we could
    > put an end to this silliness.

    If I want to encode the ct ligature, I can use "c" + "<ZWJ>" + "t". But,
    if I want to display the ct ligature on the tools available here, U+E707
    is the only option.

    If someone sends me a file containing the "ct" ligature encoded using
    the ZWJ method, I can open the file in an editor and globally replace
    all instances of "c" + ZWJ + "t" with U+E707 and display the file as
    the author intended.

    of others, I am removing certain presentation forms from the PUA
    of Code2000, though. The Telugu forms, for instance, have already
    been removed and won't be directly visible in the next release.)

    William Overington wrote,

    > The matter of ligatures arises fairly often in this discussion forum, often
    > in relation to German Fraktur, but also in relation to English printing of
    > the 18th Century and the use of fj in Norwegian.

    The "ct" ligature, for one, isn't confined to English typography and isn't
    limited to the 18th century.

    Spelman's "Of the Law Terms: ...", a 17th century publication, uses the
    "ct" ligature.

    The title page of Alexander of Rhodes' catechism in Latin and Quoc-Ngu,
    printed in Rome, 1649, uses the "ct" ligature in the Latin portions of
    the text. One presumes that if the Viet portion of the text had included
    any "ct" strings, they, too, would have been ligated.

    (For the long-s fans, the word "Missionario" on the title page uses
    long-s followed by final-s. Anyone seeking orthotypographic rules
    for medieval text should remember that even spelling wasn't well
    standardized [or standardised]. Shakespeare, for example, didn't
    know how to spell his own last name.*)

    A couple of 16th century books shown in "INTRODUCCION A LA
    HISTORIA DEL LIBRO Y DE LAS BIBLIOTECAS" use the "ct" ligature
    in French (figura 64, Geofroy Tory de Bourges, Aux Studieux &
    bons Lecteurs dit & donne humble Salut.) and in Spanish (figura 72,
    DOCTRINA / CHRISTIANA,EN LENGVA ME / xicana muy necessaria : ...)

    Best regards,

    James Kass,

    * Neither did Queen Elizabeth I - (heh heh)