Re: Header Reply-To

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 16:29:25 EST

    Mark Davis <mark dot davis at jtcsv dot com> wrote:

    > First, the ` is not a quote mark: it is a grave accent/ Second, it
    > also doesn/t say that you can/t use a slash/ say/ instead of a comma/
    > apostrophe/ or period/ But that doesn/t mean it/s a good idea/

    It's a terrible idea. I hate ``this quoting convention" (or
    alternatively ``this one'') as much as anyone.

    I think the problem is that when Stefan said the page "doesn't follow
    the ASCII standard and/or any ASCII-based standard," everyone (including
    me) assumed that meant it wasn't encoded in an ASCII-based character
    encoding, not that it didn't use 0x22 for double quotation marks. I
    don't have a copy of the ASCII standard and I have no idea whether
    "following" it requires that 0x22 be used for double quotation marks,
    although it certainly makes sense to do so

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
    .