Re: PRODUCING and DESCRIBING UTF-8 with and without BOM

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 12:10:57 EST

    Joseph Boyle scripsit:

    > I haven't encountered UTF-32, SCSU, UTF-7, or BOCU-1 as transfer encodings.

    Alas, a member of one of the mailing lists I'm on is using an old version
    of Netscape, and he ends up sending UTF-7 (unless he is very careful not to)
    whenever he does anything non-ASCII.

    The trouble with UTF-7 is that it is polymorphous-perverse, since there is
    no rule forbidding ordinary ASCII to appear in encoded form.

    --
    We call nothing profound                        jcowan@reutershealth.com
    that is not wittily expressed.                  John Cowan