RE: PRODUCING and DESCRIBING UTF-8 with and without BOM

From: Joseph Boyle (Boyle@siebel.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 22:41:40 EST

    Yes, the software business is largely about dealing with the BADLY WRITTEN,
    the TRIVIAL, and the BRAIN-DEAD. Your point?

    Newline problems are a good analogy. They still require bookkeeping of
    different formats and attention in any new coding and cause new bugs, even
    though the problem has been around for decades. Nobody is holding their
    breath for any of the platforms to change their newline convention to match
    the others or even update all their tools to deal with the differences -
    bare LF still doesn't work in Notepad.