Re: In defense of Plane 14 language tags (long)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 19:24:43 EST

    At 12:57 11/5/2002, Timothy Partridge wrote:

    >Doug Ewell recently said:
    >
    > > 1. Language tags may be useful for display issues.
    >
    >Another use for language tagging is the correct formation of ligatures. E.g.
    >fi ligature is fine in English, but causes problems in Turkish because of
    >confusion with undotted i.

    See my previous message in this thread.

    I don't think anyone is questioning that language tagging is a good and
    useful thing. The question is whether using character codepoints as
    language identifiers is a good thing. I'm inclined to the view that it is
    not, and that language tagging should be handled, along with most (all?)
    other tagging, at a higher level.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467